Sunday, February 5, 2012

Stuck-in-My-Head-Sunday: Lana Del Rey - "Summertime Sadness"/M.I.A. - "Bad Girls"/David Guetta - "Without You (feat. Usher)"

This week was attack of new music. Out came Lana Del Rey's Born to Die, a new single from Madonna, and a new single from M.I.A. There did seem to be an embarrassment of riches in the way of M.I.A. since she also was featured on Madonna's meh single "Give Me All Your Luvin'." I missed that crazy betch. Badly. Lastly, my love for an already released dance ballad (dance ballad=my weakness) was solidified.

First up, Lana Del Rey. I have been tepidly awaiting the release of Born to Die since while I am obsessed with "Video Games,""Born to Die," and "Off to the Races," I am decidedly less in love with all of the other tracks I had heard from the album. Overall it's a pretty disappointing 52 minutes of orchestra pop, but one track--"Summertime Sadness"--is the biggest earworm I've heard in quite some time. Enjoy:



M.I.A. is back! Her new album is due later in the year, but I'll take the fun and gangsta "Bad Girls" for now. I've never been a Madonna fan but how funny is it to juxtapose the out-of-touch and dated feel of Madonna's single and video with the exciting, fresh, and middle-eastern inspired (naturally) excitement of "Bad Girls"?! I actually can't stop listening to this and the next song on this post.



I had heard this song before and found it very catchy, but it wasn't until seeing it on Glee and dancing to it at a friend's wedding that I realized just how incredible it is. My weakness for a good dance ballad is epic, and this song seems like it was almost tailor-made for my tastes: starts low and quiet, then Usher belts it out, after a few singing of the chorus it EXPLODES into such a fun dance beat. I can't wait to go completely ape-shit when this blasts out of the speakers at a bar after 3 or 4 hard drinks (it's only what I need to be able to dance in front of people). This song puts me in such a great mood. I love how everyone in the video clearly feels the same way.




No comments:

Post a Comment