Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Hunger Games

Last night I finished the first installment of The Hunger Games Trilogy, entitled The Hunger Games.  I'm obsessed with it.  I was skeptical of it at first both because the plot seemed very familiar (i.e. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, The Long Walk by Stephen King as Richard Bachman), and also because I can't trust YA novels with big followings ever since it lead me to read the horrible Twilight.  But The Hunger Games is amazing on so many levels.


The lead character, Katniss, is a wonderful character who is intelligent and easy to connect with as a reader, but she's a kick-ass female, and I fucking LOVE kick-ass females.  From Margo Channing to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, give me a strong female who can kick-ass with words or a wooden stake and I'm in heaven.  That's exactly what The Hunger Games delivers, and it's so refreshing since living in a world full of the damsels in distress like terrible role-model Bella from the Twilight series.

The Hunger Games is also just a really great read.  It's post-apocalyptic fun at its best, and it moves at such a clip that I would read about 50-70 pages a night.  It is YA so it's also a very easy read, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that it's engaging and very adult in content.  I mean, characters are brutally murdered....this ain't your average YA novel.  I recommend it to everyone and anyone who has even a passing interest in it.  I can't wait to get my hands on the second novel, Catching Fire.  Suzanne Collins also has a way with the cliff-hanger.  It was fun at the end of chapters but the one at the end of the novel isn't terrible but has left me biting my nails in anticipation for the next novel!

This morning I woke up to some exciting casting news regarding The Hunger Games film.  Before I started reading I had heard the names thrown around for Katniss Everdeen: Hailee Steinfeld, Jennifer Lawrence, Abigail Breslin, Kaya Scodelario, Saoirse Ronan, and Chloe Moretz.  All great young actresses, but I was intent that Hailee Steinfeld would play her.  Besides being blown away by her Mattie Ross in True Grit (for which she should've won the Oscar for) I felt like she looked like Katniss and seemed that she could be both gentle and extremely deadly in the same moment.  Once I started reading the novel I just kept picturing Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss:


I tried to change it, but my brain wouldn't let me!  Then the news came out that Jennifer Lawrence murdered her audition for Katniss and was the front-runner.  Now, I don't like Winter's Bone all that much, but I have to admit that her performance bolsters the film.  I don't think it's as amazing as people say, but I think she's clearly marked herself as an actress to watch.  And with 3 films coming out this year (X-Men: First Class, Like Crazy, The Beaver) and a recent Oscar nomination, people are taking notice.  So much so that this morning it was announced she's been officially cast as Katniss Everdeen!  I'm excited.  In my mind there really is nobody else I pictured in the role, and despite her being very pretty, very blonde, and she's a lot bigger (taller and older-looking) than Katniss should be, I think she'll work perfectly.  She looks good enough to play Katniss in Winter's Bone:


Thoughts?




The next part to cast will be Peeta Mellark, the next-largest role in the novel.  Two young actors have thrown their name into the mix early, Josh Hutcherson (The Kids Are All Right) and Alex Pettyfer (I Am Number Four):
Josh Hutcherson
Alex Pettyfer
I love Josh Hutcherson but think he'd make a much better Gale.  Alex Pettyfer is who I pictured Peeta as, so I'm biased, but I think he'd be perfect.  Peeta is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous and also be an approachable guy.  I think he looks that way.  Although I also think Pettyfer shouldn't be getting any more roles in Hollywood since all the rumors of him being a MAJOR diva on sets came out.  That action shouldn't be condoned with a big role.  So maybe there's another actor out there who will be Peeta to a 'T'.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I can’t see all of this content, stuff keeps hiding? Are you taking advantage of java?

    nolvadex

    ReplyDelete