Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Admiration: Katie Holmes in The Gift

I'm not a big fan of Katie Holmes.  I have seen her do some good things (i.e. Pieces of April, Wonder Boys, The Ice Storm), but the only thing I've seen her in that's been released in the last 5 years or so is her Rachel Dawes in Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins.  Let's just say that I'd rather not remember she was in that.  I don't care about her Jackie Kennedy in that supposedly terrible mini-series "The Kennedys", so I really have no interest in her.  And yet she surprised me again with a role that seems so against-type and comes from her period of acting long before Tom Cruise brainwashed her.  Her Jessica King in Sam Raimi's The Gift is a brief role but a mesmerizing one.

She plays the daughter of the rich man in town, and she's marrying the kind principal of the town's school.  She's perfect on the outside with her tied sweaters and J.Crew wardrobe, but she's actually a sex fiend.  Cate Blanchett's character finds her having sex with a local lawyer, she is revealed to have had sex with the local wifebeater, and also is banging Greg Kinnear's teacher-man.  The girl's vajinko is ravenous.  Now.  If you had described that character and then said: KATIE HOLMES?  I would've barfed.  Not exactly my thoughts, and yet she is completely absorbing as Jessica.  Everytime she was on the screen I couldn't take my eyes off her, and for the role that she's playing it's completely appropriate.  Now I really wish her marriage contract to Tom Cruise could be up already so she can try and have a Kidman-like career renaissance.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I think Katie Holmes is cute ... just a shame about the hubby. ;) The film rings a bell too. It's the one where Cate Blanchett is using Zener cards as if they were Tarot cards, right? Zener cards are not used for divination, they're used to test people's would-be ESP talents. If it hadn't been for that silly mistake, I probably would have enjoyed the movie a lot more. As it was, it just felt ridiculous.

    But anyway, I enjoy your posts and look forward to reading more of them. :)

    ReplyDelete