Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Letter to 'Devil' (2010)

Dear Devil,


Thank you so much.  I mean it....sincerely.  Thank you so much for giving me 81 minutes of unadulterated thriller fun.  There are only two instances I have had this much scary fun in the theater this year: Shutter Island and Paranormal Activity 2.  While I consider both those films to be superb, I thought you were going to be complete crap.  I apologize for my judgments.

Now, I saw your trailer.  I thought it was awesome.  But I also know that an awesome trailer for a horror film means very little when it comes to the actual film (i.e. The Grudge).  People even recommended the film to me, but these people have opinions which I do not respect, so I scoffed at their enjoyment of you.  I must atone for my sins!

You took me on such a fun ride, and I really had no idea where you were going to end up.  Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the last 15 minutes, but by then I was so gleeful it did not matter, so I'm willing to overlook.  The scares were rarely cheap, the acting was surprisingly good, the direction was tight, and with suspension of disbelief there were no plot holes.

Kudos to you, Devil.

My deepest apologies.

Matt


The exciting trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment