Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jack Goes Boating (2010)


Last night I watched Philip Seymour Hoffman's directorial debut Jack Goes Boating and I was pleasantly surprised!  I don't have too much to say about it other than kudos to PSH for capturing such a pleasantly sweet tone with the whole film.  Although there is dramatic heft towards the end of the film it never feels extreme or forced, and the characters and their objectives had been perfectly delineated up until then so it feels like a natural climax to the plot. 

I will say, though, that the second-to-last shot is absolutely devastating emotionally.  It took me completely by surprise and paralyzed me a bit in the end.  It's a masterful way to end the film and proves that perhaps Philip Seymour Hoffman's directorial skills are more than just 'pleasant', 'sweet', and 'well-crafted'.  I'll be looking forward to what he can bring to the table in the future, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment