Saturday, February 5, 2011

Admiration: The Production Design and Cinematography of Gattaca (1997)

I just finished Gattaca for the first time, and was completely taken aback.  The film is such a perfect fusion of Science Fiction and Film Noir.  I was pleased at how Andrew Niccol used the common tropes of noir and transformed them through sci-fi, yet didn't make them unrecognizable.  It was cozy and traditional, but had a contemporary and exotic veneer.  Needless to say, I loved the film.

More than that, though, I loved the way the production design and cinematography worked together to make some stunning settings shot gorgeously.  Here are some lackluster examples (it's a tease because there are so many more impressive shots and watching the film on Blu-ray was orgasmic):


Delicious.

I also want to add that the use of 40s-referencing costumes, automobiles, and interior design was incredibly effective at evoking that noir feeling.

Definite 'A'.




No comments:

Post a Comment