Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Admiration: John Williams and 'Jurassic Park'

Aaron over at the blog Electronic Cerebrectomy featured this video of a Japanese guitar orchestra playing John William's score for Stephen Spielberg's Jurassic Park and it's awesome:



But isn't John William's score just absolute perfection?  When I hear that theme my brain immediately thinks about those days as a kid watching this film and being in awe of movie-making.  This film is one of a select few that I remember contributing to my love of film, and this score brings back so much nostalgia.  It's majestic and awe-inspiring and completely perfect for the film!  Film scores today rarely help a film as much as this score did.  This year alone are only two films that I can remember thinking--during my viewing of the film--that the score is really adding to the overall experience: The Social Network and How to Train Your Dragon.  Otherwise, they just don't make them like they used to!

This score can go alongside James Horner's Titanic score and the recently deceased John Barry's score for Dances with Wolves as the three most recognizable scores from the 1990s.  I can't think of anything to rival those three, and I wouldn't want one to!

No comments:

Post a Comment