Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen:

NOW PRESENTING:

Your New Best Picture Front-runner...

(Drumroll please)



Ok, Ok.  I know that nobody really agrees that this is the Best Film of the year.  I do think that it's a great film with populist leanings that manages to be both a classy, enlightening, and rousing affair.  But after it's won the PGA (Producer's Guild of America) award, 12 Oscar nominations, a sure winner in the Best Actor field of the race, a ton of other Guild nominations and...most importantly...last night's win of the DGA (Director's Guild of America) award by director Tom Hooper in an upset that just a few award prognosticators were predicting, and coupled with this evening's SAG win for Best Ensemble, it's official: we have a new front-runner.  Move over, The Social Network!  

I should add, though, that in my gut I still think The Social Network will win come Oscar night.  That may change before February 27th, but I highly doubt it.  It just feels like the winner, and my gut hasn't been wrong yet...even when I wish it was (I'm looking at you, Crash).

2 comments:

  1. Here's to hoping for an upset! No one beats Mark Zuckerberg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm crossing my fingers too for The Zuck to take it! :)

    ReplyDelete